Return to Homepage

Catholic Womens' League
Logo of The Catholic Womens' League

CWL Meeting at the home of Mrs Ursula Jobson-May 2014
The Catholic Womens' League was founded nationally in 1906 by Margaret Fletcher. The Hexham and Newcastle Branch was founded in 1911. The Birtley St Joseph Section was formed and founded in 1949.

Unfortunately, due to diminishing membership, Birtley St Joseph Section of the Catholic Womens' League was disbanded in February 2017.  Thanks are due to those former members and ladies of the Parish who provided support to the Branch

The photograph (left) is of one of our weekly meetings in happier times - (l-r) Mrs Dorothy Bates, Mrs Ursula Jobson, Mrs Rosemary Duffy (Chairperson), Mrs Olga Towns (Treasurer), Mrs Vera McAvoy (Secretary).

If anyone has any queries, please contact the former Chairperson Rosemary Duffy: tel: (0191) 410 4396.